It’s that time of year again: cozy sweaters, flannel sheets, and plummeting temperatures. Fresh snow sure does look pretty, but winter weather can be dangerous to your home. As your local Tri-Cities builder, we at Team Prodigy care about the well-being of you and your home. If you followed our Fall Maintenance Tips, you’re in good shape heading into inclement weather, but here are some other tips and tricks to keep in mind.
Watch Your Roofline!
Ice dams occur when snow on your roof melts from the heat of your house, but then re-freezes along the roofline. Ice dams are a big deal. They can cause leaks and major damage to your home, so prevention is key.
- Keep gutters clear- hopefully, you did this while completing your fall maintenance
- Keep your roof free from snow- hiring a professional is our recommendation, but you can also purchase a roof rake
- Check your attic insulation- this keeps heat inside and prevents it from melting the snow on your roof
Clean up the Snow!
Snow and ice can make trees and walkways hazardous to you and your home in winter weather. Tree limbs under a heavy load of snow or ice can snap. Icy driveways are treacherous for obvious reasons. Maintenance is key to protecting you and your property.
- Brush snow off of tree limbs where possible- be gentle or you may end up breaking off brittle branches
- Shovel driveways and sidewalks promptly after a snowfall
- Use ice melt where needed to keep ice away- put this on your shopping list now in case stores run out!
Pro Tip: When shoveling snow, make sure your pile is away from your home to prevent water from melting near your foundation.
If you’re planning on vacationing this winter season, make sure your home is properly prepared for your absence.
- Leave your faucet dripping- this helps prevent freezing pipes
- Keep your heat on- it may be tempting to shut it down while you’re away, but this can cause frozen pipes among other problems
- Reverse your ceiling fans to push hot air down from the ceiling
If you aren’t fleeing the winter weather, keep these items on hand in the event of a winter storm, or a serious case of the winter blues:
- Ice melt (another reminder to go buy it now!)
- Snow shovel
- Flashlights (and extra batteries)
- Cozy blankets
- Candles (and matches to light them)
- Books and/or movies
- Cocoa mix
We hope these simple tips and tricks will be helpful to you! Feel like you need more preparation tips? We blogged about some other tips here. Have a safe and cozy end to 2018, see you all in the new year!
Knowing your home was built with quality workmanship gives you confidence through the toughest weather.
Call us at 509.737.6227 to schedule a meeting and start the building process today!